Wednesday, August 11, 2010

Wednesday 8/11

Last night me and the guys go out for Çiğ köfte. I defer to Wikipedia to help us with this one... "is a raw meat dish in Turkish, very similar to kibbeh nayyeh and to a lesser extent to steak tartare." I would add to that it being ground to a mush, with spices, so you can shape it like dough. It was served beside a plate of lettuce and parsely. Wrap the köfte in a sheath of lettuce, add a few sprigs of parsely, drizzle with lemon, and dip in a chili sauce.

I insist to try a cow brain salad once before I leave, something fairly common but you have to know where to find it.

A few ideas are getting kicked around for the weekend, I think the theme being to get to a beach. One is travel to a student's summer home. The other: There is a small island called Avsa about 4 hours away, where Erdem has offered to coordinate my stay if I wish.

After today I think I will have a better idea how this will play out.

No matter what happens I am ready for a good time and to make the most of it, that much is clear.

I ask Erdem about vacation time. This year he has none. In previous years he will take maybe a few weeks with Mustafa in control while he is away. But I get the feeling it is more a personal choice depending on how the business is performing. Right now he is in the middle of negotiations with the property manager, the possibility of re-locating, finances, etc.

Ramadan has begun. There are mixed feelings on this. Obviously, there are plenty of followers who practice the tradition of fasting, 4 in the morning to 8 at night. These people take it very seriously. For the guys at my dorm it is as if it's a personal challenge like pride, almost like a cool thing to do. When I ask Erdem he kind of sighs. His view is certainly non-religious but what I find interesting, during this time, are the social vices he mentions - increasing cases of heartburn, diabetes complications, fainting, increased hospitalizations, and decreased productivity.

As I have seen time and again , with a lot of things in Istanubl, there is always this bittersweet discord between the old and the new.

More than a few people have asked me if I will "take part" in the practice and with all respect, for the record, I have no intention to go without eating for 16 hours.

That being said, you can imagine I am very interested to see just what the food is like after a day of not eating. I hear it is somehow different and there is the occasion of a feast involved, which is always exciting to me.

The blog is nearing its final stages... I do hope people have found it both informational and entertaining. It has been more than my pleasure to share with everyone, hopefully some good stories coming to end with, keep posted!

No comments:

Post a Comment