Monday, August 2, 2010

Monday 8/2

On my way here today I see a taxi squished by a bus, making a turn at one of the busiest section of Taksim square - I knew I'd see something like this sooner or later - people are taking pictures. The drivers are pointing and shouting at each other.

Up ahead a professional film crew is shooting a street scene.

Last Friday night had maybe the best time since I've been here. Went out with the guys from my dorm. Started with a meal of kokorec, which is ground Sheep's colon with sauce and spices on a bun - delicious. The highlight of the night was a famous Nargile cafe in the Sultanhamet district, followed by dondurma (Turkish ice cream) and a walk outside Hagia Sofia and the Blue Mosque. I learn a lot from these guys as we walk around. They are constantly telling me about this obelisk, and that archeological museum, and these famous rows of houses etc etc. We capped off the night with a round of raki at a bar in Taksim followed ishkembe - a creamy soup with lamb or sheep intestines, highly recommended after a late night of drinks. Their company is a lot of laughs and good times. I couldn't ask for a better group of people to be with to get the best sense for this city at night.

Saturday I went to the Eminou area, it's a big docking center. All of the boats and ferries station here for rides up the Bosphorus and surrounding islands. It's also where they prepare baluk ekmek - fish sandwich, a small bony fish with onion and lettuce on a boat. They actually make them on little boats docked on the pier. I love small fishes, until now I still want to find fresh anchovies. There is a special drink that apparently goes with this. I am not sure what it's called but it is red, spicy and a little salty with pickles and bits of cabbage. It goes well with the fish.

Later that afternoon I meet the students Serkan, Peylin, and Nuria and we go to the top of Galata Tower, more spectacular views! After that we went for pastries and next to the sinema to see "Inception." Thankfully it is in English with Turkish subtitles but a funny thing happens half way through... they stop the film and start playing commercials.

I think this is either some technical mix up or a joke, but come to find out they do that to all the movies in Turkey for people to get snacks and use the restroom.

Yesterday (Sunday), we go to Dolmabache Palace. There are my usual friends Shema, Serkan, Nuria, Peylin and the 2 Egyptian guys and some other students who don't talk much. The Sultans used to live here but it was last occupied by Ataturk in the Early 20th Century. It is an amazing place, incredibly ornate. Unfortunately, cannot take pictures inside. Another scorching hot day, which is pretty much the norm around here.

After that we walk to Ortukury for Kumpir, which is what they call a kind of "Turkish fast food". It's basically as open potato with a bunch of small vegetables, sliced hot dog and condiments thrown in. I wasn't a big fan.

The Egyptian guys have a lot to share about industrial pharmacy, which is very big in their country. They have a variety of courses to suit them for that career not to mention different intern programs. I tell them where I come from the scope of influence is not quite to that extent and that our focus is more from a clinical standpoint.

Then we pretty much parted ways and left. One of the students, Peylin works as an intern for Johnson pharmaceutical at a factory. She has spoke with a manger and they want to invite me to see the plant and what they do. I'm looking forward to that.

Tomorrow or Wednesday Erdem may have someone cover the pharmacy for the day and he will show me around Istanbul University - maybe have the chance to meet the faculty.

No comments:

Post a Comment