Tuesday, August 10, 2010

Tuesday 8/10

This morning I go to plug in the iron and the power goes out in the entire floor.

In disbelief I reset the electrical breakers (the box is open) and try again only to find my suspicion confirmed. This unassuming iron is enough to wipe out the entire electricity on our floor - how that's possible I have no idea. A minute later one of the attendants comes up, lectures me in Turkish, and calmly takes the iron. We go to the room where the guys are so they can translate but it's pretty much what I had guessed - by some mechanism it uses too much wattage.

The funny thing is I have been using it all this time and only now there is a problem.

The showers on our floor are missing faucets and there's no hot water so everyone is re-directed to the second floor. There is a line of at least 5 guys reading newspapers.

I came in to the pharmacy yesterday about 10:30 am and Erdem is asleep on the back couch. He had been visiting his cousin in their summer home for the weekend.
Now that I think of it I'm not so sure he has what we think of as "vacation time". I will have to ask... When he awakes I can tell from his voice he is tired. I leave early that day, about 4, and meet up with Pelin and Serkan at a restaurant. The students are gathered there, 8 all together, having a meeting of sorts which has to do with IPSF (international pharmaceutical students federation) and SEP (student exchange program) issues. It's all in Turkish so I don't understand but later Serkan tells me another group in Turkey wants to assume responsibilities of the SEP program and there is some debate on the direction it will go - something along those lines. Just like our APhA organization back home, they also talk about the outlook of funding and activities.

Afterward, I'm tired but we agree to go out for 1 beer. I have been running a fever in the past 3 days. Nothing too serious. It's more bothersome the idea that of any time in the year this has to happen now but it's getting better I think.

A couple of friends have burned me traditional Turkish music. I like the rhythm.

Downstairs in the study where I prepare the blog it's quiet except for the swooshing sound of running water in the exposed domestic pipes. I keep thinking there must be rain outside. It relaxes me.

No comments:

Post a Comment