Friday, August 13, 2010

Thursday 8/12

Today Erdem asks me a favor.

He has only asked a few since I've been here and they have all been menial and random even though he says it as if he wants my firstborn child.

"Mike", he says, "I have a favor to ask of you... I notice this gold button on your coat of the American Pharmacists... and I wish to have it."

A small token to represent volumes. I am happy to oblige.

Tonight I find out the plan to go to Izmir, to stay at one of the student's summer house.

I'm conflicted about this. All I hear about is how beautiful it is, a good time, and relaxing etc etc. But there's a couple of things that don't sit well with me. I only find out about this second-hand from a friend of a friend of the student - and she's not even going. In fact she only mentioned the plan in an off-handed manner, by the way, we are to leave Friday morning. What's more is this is over a 6 hour drive with the student's brothers, people I don't even know.

Earlier in the week, Tuesday, I had made plans with Erdem to go out Friday. I've taken a liking to his friends and we always have fun going out.

On top of that this is the last week I will see the guys ('the guys' hereon in will simply refer to the guys at the dorm). By now we have become as close friends as anyone I've met since I have been here.

Even though this was brought up this past Sunday when we went to the Asian side I am put off by the fact that there was no invitation from either the student who has the house or the student coordinator Sheyma.

I've come to find Istanbul pharmacy students may not be the best of planners.

In short, all of this is adding up to bad timing. As much as I'm crazy about the beach - and not just the beach, the aegean sea! - I've come to the conclusion that I want to spend my final days here with the people who have mattered to me most. That makes sense.

Erdem has plans to start a facebook group of pharmacists and pharmacy students from different countries to share information. I have to think it's already been done before but, why not? It's a great idea.

Need to get lokum (Turkish Delight), halva, apricots, for back home. Maybe chocolates but they melt.

I wonder sometimes if someone else had had the same opportunity here would they make for a better experience.

Would they have seen more? done more? met different people?

Ultimately I think this question doesn't matter. What matters is, of the time you were given, did you make it personal? Did you take in the people, places, environment, sounds into your consciousness and make them a part of yourself?

No comments:

Post a Comment