Friday, August 13, 2010

Wednesday 8/11, continued

Today I think to purchase the little bulbous tea glasses - those same glasses I've drank from on countless occasions during my stay - to bring home as mementos but then I wonder if it would be the same. I think this touches nicely on the idea of what's culturally appropriate.

Not to mention I'd love to bring back a nargile pipe but who am I kidding?

Maybe (maybe) by the time I'm 40 I could finally afford a house with a smoking room, but then how would I maintain such a device? Who would I share it with?

Some things you need to appreciate in the time and space meant for them.

Would I ever sit down one morning someday a month from now with a cup of Turkish tea and reflect back on the times I've had - remembering the intense heat, the bustling streets, the old gray and pastel buildings, Erdem's daily anecdotes?

Maybe.

But I know the reality is this entire experience I've created is complete to the time and space I make of it. When I leaves, it leaves with me. The rest are memories, gifts, photos, the act of recall. I'm happy with that.

No comments:

Post a Comment