Monday, July 26, 2010

Monday 7/26

Weekend stuff....

Friday I go out for beers with Erdem. It's a more relaxed place but everywhere around us is hopping with people at the surrounding bars. All outdoors. I try "Efes" for the first time, the Budweiser of Turkey, you see it everywhere around here. It's Ok, fairly light and drinkable, a good session beer.

Somehow Erdem and I get into a discussion on human nature. We both agree, to most ends, our purpose on earth is a struggle for resources. As much as we both feel conflict is a necessity to progress, at the same time Erdem believes we are at a point with enough resources to start enjoying times of peace. I want to think this is possible but I don't think it is something all humans value and that peace and conflict will always run hand in hand.

All of this talk doesn't really matter. What matters is we are having an awesome night in this amazing city. Erdem's friends are here with us, one is another pharmacy students and others young professionals in other work. We share a lot of stories, kebaps are ordered and more rounds of beer. It's a great night.

I will discuss Saturday at another time....

Yesterday we visited one of the Prince's Islands. It's about an hour away from Kabatash station in Istanbul. We leave about 1 pm. Prince's Islands are actually 3 islands. Buyukada is one we are headed to. It's the biggest of the 3. It's also unfortunately the most tourist.
First of all, getting on at Kabatash was a zoo. But even so it is pretty easy in fact they use the same turnstyle as in the metro, I can use my bus card, and it's only 3 TL!

We get off and there is a swarm of people.

The only way to get around on the island is bike or horse carriage (or foot). There are no cars or buses. A few motor bikes here and there. The horse carriages run like cars though and while you walk on the road, you get out of the way as soon as the horses come by which can be every 30 seconds or so. It's the same with bikes.

The roads are small and simple, like in any small town. The main inhabitants are rich people, so I'm told. Most are retired. There are also some government-type residencies. Many of the homes are quite large and beautiful.

Also today, another student is with us. I notice for some reason he looks almost exactly like the actor Mark Ruffalo. And even acts like him too. He's a spirited guy, easy-going and very engaging. He will say "man" a lot after sentences. We get along quite well all day.

We almost rented bikes but one of the students really couldn't ride so we walk today. We are headed basically up one long winding road to the top of the highest point on the island where lies a church. It's about a good mile I'd say at least. The last half is a steep stone road that is not overcome without some serious exertion from the leg muscles. We are sweating profusely and it is very hot. 3 of the students don't make it.

At the top are truly amazing views of the sea and surrounding islands. We take a lot of photos. The church is a church. Nothing extraordinary. Me and another student are not allowed in because we have shorts on. But the views are stunning and this is what it's all about.

On the way back the students ask me some about politics. They asked how before Obama we could elect Bush for not 1 but 2 terms. It's a good question. Unfortunately I don't have a good answer.

Another asks me about Sicko and, "is American Health that bad?" I'm careful to field this one and say yes, BUT... so on and so on.

By the time we get off the boat I am pleased to find the students almost on insticnct seek out this small shack-like place by the water which is serving Turkish sausage with toamotes on a big roll. It's small, the seating is croweded, it's loud. An old man is running the grill like a drill sergent barking orders.... everything that tells me we came to the right place for some great local food.

Right across our dorm is a little corner shop where I buy water.

Sometimes at night there are a bunch of guys hanging around outside playing backgammon, telling stories, doing nothing really but passing the time. One of them, a friend of the store owner, is a big burly guy who has taken to make friends with me. He tells me his brother is somehow high-up in the airline business and how he loves the U.S., particularly Miami and the Latin American guys there. My first night here he tells me if I have any trouble at any time to let him know.

I say Ok.

I find out the month of August is Ramadan, which of course I will be here for. I am told it is something to experience, especially in the Sultanamet district. Muslims will fast all day until the sun goes down and what follows is some loud signal or grand announcement then everyone at once starts feasting. I think the food is also somehow more special. More on this later...

No comments:

Post a Comment